Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A Brief Analytical Pause

Before we continue on with our philosophical voyage we must take a brief pause to analyze a conceptual flaw within our college community. Reminiscing on an early discussion in class I remember sharing a few beliefs about Baylor Universities Chapel with a few of my classmates. Here at Baylor, chapel is a mandatory “spiritual” gathering which students must attend. As a freshman I despised chapel not because of it’s content, but merely because it was a waste of my precious time. However as I progressed through school I began to notice a critical flaw with chapel. Correct me if I am wrong, but the purpose of chapel is to unite Baylor students, primarily Baylor freshmen, within a Christian setting and offer meditation, reflection and comfort to students in opposition of their rigorous curriculum. Taken from the literal context this seems like an amazing program, however, here at Baylor a few critical flaw prevent chapel from actually being a worthwhile activity for the masses. For starters chapel attendance is mandatory, with that alone the activity has already lost its steam. Mandatory chapel with continuous attendance by all students for two semesters; in making chapel mandatory some students possess feeling of animosity towards the activity. Along with this feeling, mandatory attendance also bring student who generally “don’t want to be here” to the playing field and as a freshman I was one of those students. I would skip chapel as often as possible and when I was forced to go (due to the possibility of failing) I would often pass out in the back of the chapel. It was not until I started going to sleep on time that I realized the sheer significance of chapel as a meditation tool. So what’s my point, simple, Baylor should not make chapel mandatory. If it is of failing) I would often pass out in the back of the chapel. It was not until I started going to sleep on time that I realized the sheer significance of chapel as a meditation tool. So what’s my point, simple, Baylor should not make chapel mandatory. If it is mandatory Baylor does not reach its purpose of true praise and worship also in the worst situation, students who do not want to be at chapel are merely distractions. Now I am not saying lets get rid of chapel, that’s asinine, chapel is a treasured therapeutic tool. However what I would rather support would be a chapel service two times a week, at various times going on at campus. Similar to the current chapel system however there is no attendance, students from all age groups are welcome and the grandiosity of the activity is reduced. I feel that only when this is done, will chapel be an efficient experience for all individuals who choose to partake.

- Note 2/24

1 comment:

  1. I tend to concur with your sentiment that chapel should not be mandatory, because by Baylor enforcing students to go to chapel an unfair rebellious attitude is yielded towards the cause. Although the attendance for chapel would likely decrease exponentially, it would be a much better atmosphere for those attending. If one is reluctant to attend chapel, the event is unlikely to resonate with the student, rendering chapel useless to a mass amount of students.

    ReplyDelete