Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Cracked Mirror 2 (5/24)

When I reminisce on who I was in high school and how I have developed since then it is honestly amazing. In looking for answers within before going outside, I understand that my increased involvement in sports lead to the man I am today. Why is this important? Throughout the year we have studied "dead guys". Individuals with the upmost level of mental capacity, I have looked at their history in order to create my own philosophy. However at times in order to move forward you have to look back, thus I want to share a small bit of information to aid you all understand the person I was and the person I am.

Playing sports at CCA has meant everything to me. Not just for the pleasure of playing the game but also how it has formed me into the person that I am today. It built me not only physically tough; but mentally as well.

CCA athletics has taught me many lessons. I remember first going into high school and seeing our struggling football team. Winning isn’t everything but I joined a team that frequently got demolished. We worked hard and I learned to give 100% effort and to never give up hope. I never lost hope in our team and learned to have fun no matter what the score was. I always felt that if I gave my full effort it didn’t matter what the score was because I enjoyed what I was doing.

CCA athletics has always been in my life. Ever since I was in middle school when I first ran cross country I have enjoyed participating in athletics. Athletics gave me a place to meet friends and to release a lot of energy. Next year when I come back to watch the CCA games I won’t even recognize it because I have hardly ever just watched a game. I was always participating in some way.

I have given so much sweat and blood to the school that I can’t even imagine doing anything else. I have been injured countless times from a CCA sport. My first injury was a cut in my hand that required 8 stitches. I followed that with concussions, knee injuries, broken fingers and hands, and countless other minor aches and pains. Every scar and sore joint created a memory that will stay with me forever. The only way I could have possibly survived CCA sports was god’s will, and I thank him for watching over me.

I’ve seen coaches come and go at CCA; and each one has given me something to take away from that season. Coach Henneke taught me to face my fears and to use my talents to the full extent. Coach Harper showed me that giving up only cheats myself. Coach Jackson taught me to always have fun even when things looked hopeless. Coach Stanley and soccer showed me that I don’t have to be perfect, or the star to help the team. Coach Brainard and baseball taught me to have fun, and the value of friendship. Every season, coach, and game, gave me something to improve my life. I will never forget the games I played or the people that I experienced those sports with. The memories and lessons that CCA athletics has given me will always remain close to my heart; because they have truly made me a better person.

I will always treasure my time at CCA playing the sports that I loved with the friends and coaches that shaped my life. CCA will always remain close to me with every scar and every memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment